Wednesday, January 27, 2010

On Our Hearts

Words close to our hearts right now:

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

What do we need strength in? Both physically and mentally! Our house is in the beginning stages of renovation and, while I'm sure there may be more important things to pray about, we speak to him daily for the strength to move walls and the understanding necessary to maintain our marriage. When your house was built in the 60's, you have a lot to do! Nevertheless, we are loving every minute of our crazy long nights, sleepless weekends and endless spending... None of which includes any kind of fruity drink or posh club.

Other words very close to our hearts right now:

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." - John 14:18

Josh and I were married about 1 year ago on March 21st 2010. It seems only natural that we would be thinking of starting a family; especially when it seems that so many of our friends are beginning theirs. I watch Faith, my best friend's baby, and I think about how beautiful it is to be a child... no cares in the world! her mind is filled with pure wonderment at the world around her. She is the picture of innocence and everyone around her is in place for her protection. If only all children could be so lucky.

Josh and I had talked about our feelings on the topic of adoption before. Our views were quite the same then as they are now. "What better way to show God's love in action than to do for some kid what He has done for us." is what Josh told me. After the recent Haiti quake the topic came up again. So many kids without parents and consequently, nobody to encourage their future! We talked about it more and more as the weeks went on and I found myself researching countries, agencies, and orphanages. I watched stories on Youtube of families traveling thousands of miles to pick up the baby that God had hand-picked for them. Their faces were precious and I was absolutely sold. on January 25Th, over sweet tea and waffle fries at Chickfila, we realized that this feeling was now so engraved in our hearts that we were never going to shake it. We said it out loud. "Well, if we are going to do this, let's get the ball rolling!" We're excited and terrified! Besides the fact that the cost is absolutely daunting and the time frame can be long; We are faced with the typical question of "Will we be good parents?" Especially to a child who has been through so much at such a young age. I believe whole-heartedly however that this seed was planted in our marriage for a reason. I know that the feeling you get deep in your heart... the one that makes you feel uncomfortable and forces you to take a step back is indeed God's voice. And He's telling me right now that, where there is a will, there is a way! He's going to provide, we just know it! So I'll wrap this post up by asking you all, friends and family, to pray for us! Pray for the means, the wisdom and the patience to complete this journey and ultimately change the life of our child forever!

2 comments:

  1. So wow, it's been YEARS since highschool, but I saw your post on facebook and wanted to tell you that I will definitely be praying for your family journey! My husband and I have that same God given ambition to adopt...It's so neat how God plants those desires in our heart to go be His hands and feet. Just the thought of children not having parents or anyone to love them, it truly breaks my heart and I've become passionate and excited about adopting! And you are so right, what a BEAUTIFUL way to show a picture of God's love because we are His adopted children :) It makes my heart smile to hear you and Josh's heart towards adoption...please keep posting about your journey. It's so encouraging to hear how God is leading you guys.

    ALSO, there is a woman in college station who has a blog and she talks about all sorts of great stuff, but she talks A LOT about adoption (she has an adopted son). You should really go check it out for resources or encouragement from reading from a mother who has adopted. Her address is http://www.allthingshendrick.blogspot.com/. On the right hand bar there is a topics section and you can click on the "adoption" one.

    -Jessica 'Wrase' Milliken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jessica! I did check out her blog and was so encouraged. I also saw that Kirby and Charlie Apel are in the beginning stages of adopting as well. It seems like a lot of young families are doing this! When this is all done, I will truly believe that if we can do it, anyone can!

    ReplyDelete